1. what are you mixed with?
Irish & Chahta (Native American)
2. What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for?
White in general.
3. is your hair curly or straight
Very wavy, bordering on curly, depending on the shampoo. ;)
4. Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up?
I actually didn’t know growing up that I was biracial - I only recently learned that I am also Chahta. I’m very pale because I’m anemic so I always just thought I was Irish.
5. Which backgrounds do you embrace the most?
I love my Irish heritage but my Chahta heritage is also incredibly important to me, especially since I have missed so much. I am learning as much as I can! I hope to one day speak both Irish and Chahta.
6. Have you ever been teased for being different?
I get funny looks sometimes for claiming to be native, but - surprisingly to me - most people say that I look it. I guess maybe people are getting to be more open-minded about your racial identity being more than your skin color.
7. Have you ever been ashamed of being multi-racial?
When I initially found out I was Chahta, I was afraid to explore further, because I look white, but after seeing so little hostility, I see I was just being afraid for no reason. Now I am proud to be both!
8. Do you feel that being mixed has its benefits?
I like to think/hope that it serves as a lesson to others to be more open-minded about race and racial assumptions. While heritage is extremely important, and honoring where you came from as well, we are all much much more than our race.
9. What makes being multiracial a beautiful thing?
It’s a sign of society progressing away from hatred of each other for superficial and ridiculous things. (I like to think)
10. Any advice to someone who struggles with their multiracial identity?
Don’t be afraid to embrace who you are. You are a beautiful person and every part of you is worth celebrating! Take pride and joy in who and what you are. You’re amazing. <3